Sunday, June 13, 2010

North Carolina-did some research

After I wrote the Texas In Music post I felt my own state pride rearing up and I indulged...until 4am.  I was really ready to get out of North Carolina and make a new life on my own terms in Austin.  Make no mistake about that.  However, Texas has made me throughly appreciate my North Carolina roots and now I'm a pseudo expert of NC people, with my interest mainly focused on the creative types.

For example, all people who are from NC:

* Cecil B De Mille - the original Riddley Scott; film director of epic movies from . The Ten Commandments clip.
* Pam Grier - first female action hero. Quentin Tarantino's muse. Check out Jackie Brown.
* Julianne Moore - beautiful woman! Wonderful in The Big Lebowsky
* David Lynch - grew up in North Carolina and Montana. Twin Peaks.
* Tom Robbins - Even Cowgirls Get The Blues was where I got my off-beat humor.
* David Sedaris - spent part of his childhood in Raleigh, NC. Makes me proud to claim him as part of NC culture because I think he's just so damn funny.  Santaland Diaries.
 David Sedaris. Photo via blog.
* Inventor of Pepsi, Caleb Bradham - from near the coast
* Edward R Murrow - famous newscaster during the Regan administration. Highlighted in Good Night, And Good Luck.
* Blackbeard - dreaded English pirate that made the tricky inlets of the NC coast his hideaway in between raids.  He was eventually caught and executed, rumors of buried treasure. 
* Zelda Fitzgerald - institutionalized here in Asheville.  Died in a fire with 9 other girls in the hospital.  I do love her artwork.
Painting by Zelda Fitzgerald. More paintings here.
A playlist of artists either born in North Carolina or based in NC.

No comments:

Post a Comment