Sunday, July 4, 2010

Colorado Traffic Jams

I've been hearing about "Colorado Traffic Jams" ever since I got to Arboles but I've never been stuck in one. Tyller Gummersall took some photos for me the other day while he was inching through it.
Apparently during the spring it's not uncommon to be driving down the highway and run into a bunch of sheep or cows getting herded down the road.  The farmers have to move them to a new pasture so they can continue grazing every season and walking them down the highway is the fastest way to get it done.  I've heard that the cows are actually easier to move through--driving slowly so that they have time to get a clue and get out of the way--because you can see the cows from window level.  The sheep are slightly more difficult because they're so small that you can't see them over the hood of your car, and they bounce around a lot, especially the young ones, so it's hard to know if they're in the way and in danger of getting squished by your wheels.  I've seen the aftermath of it all--droppings smeared along the road--but never been stuck in the middle of it although it sounds adorable!

No comments:

Post a Comment