Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Finished Rig...and on down to Taos

This is our finished rig!  Denny pulled it out of the junkyard and fixed it up; even painted it to match the car.  So this is our fully retro ride down to Taos.

I have to confess that I was a little worried about going to Taos since everyone we've talked to seems to wish us good luck, hopes we come back alive, and warns us to watch out for the crazies.  The southwest seems to be a hotspot for weird people in general; that people come out here to "get away from it all" and to fully indulge in all their idiosyncrasies.  We've been here for about a week and yeah, I think we're going to pack it up and head north.  Unfortunately I think Taos has been a bit of a bust.

And I don't think I'm a huge fan of the southwest landscape.  I think huge trees that you can barely wrap your arms around and lots of green.  I can appreciate the landscape here but I don't love it.
This is the Rio Grande Gorge; on the north side of Taos.  We were just driving along lots of flat landscape, trying to dodge the tarantulas crossing the highway (just the little males, the females are the large ones that I always envision when I think of a tarantula), and then bam, a huge gash in the landscape called the Rio Grande Gorge.  The wedding scene from Natural Born Killers was filmed right over this guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment