Monday, January 18, 2010

"Our Song"

I've never had an "our song" with anyone I've ever dated--it never came naturally.  I envisioned that it would be necessary to sit down over dinner and say, "Baby, it has come to my attention that we don't have a song.  Do you know how that makes me feel?  Wretched, it makes me feel wretched.  We simply have to choose one this evening before this gets any further."

So, I've never had a couples' song.

It made me think about all the other songs that couples claim and the list doesn't seem that long.  

 1. At Last - Etta James
2. Unforgettable - Nat King Cole
3. When A Man Loves A Woman - Percy Sledge
4. Have I Told You Lately - Rod Stewart
5. We've Just Only Begun - The Carpenters
6. Fields Of Gold - Sting
7. Everything I Do - Bryan Adams
8. Only You - Roy Orbison
9. Time After Time - Cyndi Lauper
10. This I Promise You - NSync
11, You Are So Beautiful - Joe Cocker
12. Can You Feel The Love Tonight - Elton John
13. My Boo - Usher and Alisha Keys
14. Crazy In Love - Beyonce
15. Hopelessly Devoted To You - Olivia Newton John
16. I Just Called To Say I Love You - Stevie Wonder
17. The Wind Beneath My Wings - Bette Middler
18. Wonderful Tonight - Eric Clapton
19. I Will Always Love You- Whitney Houston
20. Maybe I'm Amazed - Paul McCartney
21. Baby, I Love Your Way - Peter Frampton
22. Our Song- Elton John

Frankly, there's not one on that list of songs that I would claim for myself.  They were all written for someone else and it just feels disingenuous to say that it's ours.  Frankly, I would throw the whole list away and say, "Babe, if we really gotta have song then let's grab 'Fishin' Blues' cuz darlin, that's what I wanna do with you...grow old and go fishin with you although, after we get good bait of course."

No comments:

Post a Comment