Friday, January 8, 2010

Les Triplettes De Belleville

Several years ago I got into the habit of requesting friends and acquaintances to make me a mixed tape of their favorite songs.  I had the idea that this excersize would be the musical equilvalent to looking through their trash--a very telling way to get to know someone in a flash with a bi-product of enhancing my musical library 10-fold.

This is how I discovered M.  A French musican who is hugely popular among coissants and brie but who is virtually unknown in our land of milkshakes and hamburgers.  He even worked on the soundtrack for The Triplettes of Belleville which leans heavily on the gypsy swing music of Django Rheinhardt with a super cute music video.


In fact, I quite like French music.  I like world music in general because when the words are in a language I can't understand, I focus on the music as a whole while the voice becomes simply another instrument and less a vehicle for some deeper message.  However, of all world music, French is my favorite.

Jacques Dutronc-Les Cactus (1967)

No comments:

Post a Comment